Thursday, September 4, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Certain XP machines won't connect to Samba share

Steven Black wrote:
>
> Here's something you should check:
>
> Microsoft changed the default workgroup from "WORKGROUP" (which actually
> has a special meaning) to "MSHOME". Since it is the "Pro" editions that
> are not seeing the share, I would check that they are configured to use
> the same Workgroup that the other machines are configured to use.

I believe (BICBW) that the default for XP Pro is WORKGROUP, and the
Default for XP Home is MSHOME. I will certainly double check.

> I noticed there didn't seem to be a "Workgroup" setting in the
> samba.conf file, so Samba would appear to be using the default. (Though
> I wasn't specifically looking to see if it was using a Windows Domain
> Server, as I've no experience there. If you're using one, then you don't
> have a workgroup anymore.)

The server is definitely part of the WORKGROUP workgroup.

> Ideally, unless you're using a domain server, you want to have a
> specific known name for your Workgroup. Don't just use the default, as
> the default can be different depending on the OS.

Are you suggesting I add a 'workgroup = WORKGROUP' parameter or some
such to smb.conf? Under [global], I presume?

Thanks for your interest.

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: