Thursday, September 4, 2008

Re: [BLUG] SUCCESS! Certain XP machines won't connect to Samba share

Shing-Shong Shei wrote:
>> Windows machine would *not* connect by \\server\share name, but it did
>> connect by \\lan_ip\share.

Response inline...

> Try this:
>
> 1) service smb stop
> 2) rm /etc/samba/secrets.tdb

I have an install of the Debian Lenny based MEPIS 8 beta here at home,
and the above file doesn't appear to exist. (The machine I've been
working on is the Etch based MEPIS 7.)

> 3) find /var/cache/samba -type f | xargs rm

Would you mind telling me what the above command is actually doing?
Looking at the xargs man page, it appears that I'm removing something???
from /var/cache/samba???

> 4) service smb start

Thanks for your interest. I appreciate learning opportunity.

(Everything's relative, that's for sure. In nearly every other circle,
I'm considered the "computer genius". This kind of experience keeps me
humble.)

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: