Friday, November 7, 2008

Re: [BLUG] BLUG ideas

As a new father, I have interests in the following topics:

1. Linux, Children and Edutainment: How young is too young?

Personally, I'm thinking three is about as young as is probably
feasable. I've not looked at the edutainment options all that
thoroughly yet, though, so I don't know what other people think.

2. Children and programming: Best first language before age 10?

Personally, I'm thinking of teaching Python at 8. What have other
people done? What are other people planning?

3. Content filtering: Does anyone actually use this? Does it work, or
is it flawed by design?

Personally, I'm genuinely opposed to content filtering. However,
I'm am interested in what people use, and how effective they find
it to be.

I'm much more interested in whole network web logging via transparent
proxies. I want to know where folks are going, but I don't intend to
stop them until I see something requiring intervention.

4. An on-going report grading distributions for comparison purposes.
It would be nice to see this listing results for various hardware
categories, so distributions focusing on older hardware could be
compared to peers, as opposed to comparing all distributions equally.

The premise here is simple. Everyone can (and should) be using Linux,
however due to differing hardware availability everyone may not be
able to use the same distribution of Linux. What sort of distribution
would best for the youngster getting the hand-me-down computer?

5. Dumb terminals, X terminals, and thin clients on the family network.
What are people using? What works? What can we actively recommend
people avoid?

While genuine dumb terminals are now few and far between, any home
computer regardless of the age can be used as a dumb terminal as long as
it still has a functioning serial port. (This includes old Apple ][s.)
I had a dumb terminal in my bedroom when I was little. The lack of
graphics support means that inappropriate pictures simply won't be
available.

You also have the options of ultra-light-weight Linux machines
functioning as X terminals, as well as a number of commercial or
home-grown thin client soliutions. (This could even include some
FreeDOS set ups.)

As I mentioned, I've a baby up at Riley, so I won't be able to
contribute or attend any meetings on these topics for an indeterminate
time. These were just ideas I had.

Cheers,

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:11:37PM -0500, Dave Cooley wrote:
> Please note the November meeting is on a different day of the week. I
> realized that Tuesdays were not going to work for me for the foreseeable
> future, and talked with a few other folks who attend, and I think maybe
> we'll try meeting on Thursdays for awhile.
>
> WHAT: BLUG social outing
> WHERE: Yogi's Grille, 10th St and Indiana Ave
> WHEN: THURSDAY 11/13/2008, 7:00PM
>
>
> At this meeting, I'd like to discuss any and all presentations anybody
> is interested in doing; we haven't had one in awhile. I've had requests
> for anyone with experience in using Linux as a PVR and/or Media Center,
> but it's not something I've done (any volunteers?). I'd personally love
> to see what cool stuff you folks are doing with those little
> ultra-mobile laptops.
>
> If nobody has one in mind, I'll try to put one together myself for December.
>
> I'd also like to talk to anybody willing to volunteer to sub for me;
> I've realized that in the case where I can't make it, I don't feel right
> scheduling a meeting. I'd love to have somebody else willing to
> schedule it anyway (during any given month where I'm not free). Any
> takers?
>
> Cheers, and see you Thursday (one week from this writing)
>
> Cooley
>
> --
> Dave Cooley
> dcooley@kiva.net

No comments: