Friday, November 7, 2008

Re: [BLUG] BLUG ideas

1. As soon as possible. Hook 'em while they're young. I grew up on DOS
(first computer in '88, when I was 3) and it only messed me up a little.
:) The kde-edu suite of apps would be a good place to start.

2. Start with Logo (the turtle scripting language). There are free Logo
environments for pretty much every platform out there. Move onto Python
after mastering the basics like loops and variables.

3. It works up to a point. Whitelisting is more effective, but much more
restrictive. If you use it to protect your children on the 'net, be glad
when they figure out how to circumvent it because it shows they have
good problem solving skills.

4. Distrowatch is the closest thing I know of, but it doesn't do what
you're looking for. Maybe someone else can help.

5. I don't know where to get one, but I've seen very small ARM-based
linux boxes that bolt onto the VESA mount on flatscreen monitors. It's a
little more powerful than a dumb terminal, but it only consumes 10W of
power. Jon "maddog" Hall is a huge fan of these.

-Barry Schatz

Steven Black wrote:
> As a new father, I have interests in the following topics:
>
> 1. Linux, Children and Edutainment: How young is too young?
>
> Personally, I'm thinking three is about as young as is probably
> feasable. I've not looked at the edutainment options all that
> thoroughly yet, though, so I don't know what other people think.
>
> 2. Children and programming: Best first language before age 10?
>
> Personally, I'm thinking of teaching Python at 8. What have other
> people done? What are other people planning?
>
> 3. Content filtering: Does anyone actually use this? Does it work, or
> is it flawed by design?
>
> Personally, I'm genuinely opposed to content filtering. However,
> I'm am interested in what people use, and how effective they find
> it to be.
>
> I'm much more interested in whole network web logging via transparent
> proxies. I want to know where folks are going, but I don't intend to
> stop them until I see something requiring intervention.
>
> 4. An on-going report grading distributions for comparison purposes.
> It would be nice to see this listing results for various hardware
> categories, so distributions focusing on older hardware could be
> compared to peers, as opposed to comparing all distributions equally.
>
> The premise here is simple. Everyone can (and should) be using Linux,
> however due to differing hardware availability everyone may not be
> able to use the same distribution of Linux. What sort of distribution
> would best for the youngster getting the hand-me-down computer?
>
> 5. Dumb terminals, X terminals, and thin clients on the family network.
> What are people using? What works? What can we actively recommend
> people avoid?
>
> While genuine dumb terminals are now few and far between, any home
> computer regardless of the age can be used as a dumb terminal as long as
> it still has a functioning serial port. (This includes old Apple ][s.)
> I had a dumb terminal in my bedroom when I was little. The lack of
> graphics support means that inappropriate pictures simply won't be
> available.
>
> You also have the options of ultra-light-weight Linux machines
> functioning as X terminals, as well as a number of commercial or
> home-grown thin client soliutions. (This could even include some
> FreeDOS set ups.)
>
> As I mentioned, I've a baby up at Riley, so I won't be able to
> contribute or attend any meetings on these topics for an indeterminate
> time. These were just ideas I had.
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: