Wednesday, December 10, 2008

[BLUG] Re: December meeting

> The setting is in "~/.inputrc". I did it years ago. It looks like
> it is documented in readline(3).

I have been using vi key bindings for a couple years now. I absolutely love
them. I like that they work in python and R as well as bash.

One of my favorite tricks, which works in bash (maybe zsh too) is that if you
want to do a global change from 'foo' to 'bar' on a previous command, you can
find the command in the history (either with the up arrow, or by searching
with /). Then enter command mode with Esc, and hit v. A fully-fledged vi
editor opens, and I can use the command
:s/foo/bar/g
Then I do
:wq
and the temporary vi editor closes, and the command gets executed in my bash
shell.

Rob
--
Robert Felty
http://robfelty.com

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition."
-- Timothy Leary
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: