Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Re: [BLUG] December meeting?

Steven Black wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:52:51PM -0500, Barry Schatz wrote:
>
>> I know there are Vi keybindings in Bash, but I figured since I'm
>> switching shells anyway I might as well learn as much as I can.
>>
>
> I understand. VI-like bindings are neat, but they can mess with your
> ability to assist coworkers. (This is why I don't use a Dvorak keymap.)
>
You can rebind keys to make Vi usable in Dvorak. As soon as I get a
keyboard I don't hate, I'm switching that too.

>> Zsh has a bunch of features that I'm only getting started with. Spelling
>> correction in typed commands is one. The completion is also more
>> friendly. I'm not purging bash or anything, just trying a new shell and
>> seeing if it fits my needs better. I might even switch to Ksh someday.
>>
>
> My understanding is that on all regards ZSH is generally better than
> KSH. That's just rumor, of course, but I don't ever really hear people
> speaking highly of KSH. I only hear people using pdksh because they
> needed to use some craptastic commercial UNIX-like system which only has
> KSH. They install pdksh on the Linux machines so their users will have
> the same shell experience, and their scripts will continue working.
>
> This is a far cry from the people using ZSH. ZSH isn't the default shell
> anywhere, yet is readily available and easily portable. It is also good
> enough that it continues to thrive in a shell world where even Solaris
> has dropped the Korn Shell, and only the BSD folks still think C-shells
> are cool.
>
> In fact, I really think I've heard that ZSH can do everything KSH can do
> but better. I've also heard rumors that scripting the ZSH is less likely
> to have some of the security concerns that plague BASH. Of course, these
> are both unfounded rumors that I "heard somewhere", so I may be wrong.
>
I have heard most of these things. I also heard that it's faster in a
variety of synthetic benchmarks. There was an article in LinuxFormat (I
think it was LinuxFormat...) comparing various shells and Zsh came out
on top.

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: