Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Re: [BLUG] December meeting?

I know there are Vi keybindings in Bash, but I figured since I'm
switching shells anyway I might as well learn as much as I can.

Zsh has a bunch of features that I'm only getting started with. Spelling
correction in typed commands is one. The completion is also more
friendly. I'm not purging bash or anything, just trying a new shell and
seeing if it fits my needs better. I might even switch to Ksh someday.

-Barry

Steven Black wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:04:53AM -0500, Barry Schatz wrote:
>
>> Also, I switched from Bash to Zsh and started using Vi keybindings. Any
>> suggestions for how to cope with the new paradigm?
>>
>
> Just an FYI, VI keybindings are also available in GNU Bash.
>
> They're handled by the GNU Readline library, so if properly configured
> all your GNU Readline programs get VI-like bindings.
>
> The setting is in "~/.inputrc". I did it years ago. It looks like
> it is documented in readline(3).
>
> I've never used the ZSH. I have heard vague positive things about it,
> though. I'm a heavy BASH scripter (though I try to stick with DASH
> compatible scripts due to speed issues). IIRC, ZSH is a Bourne shell,
> right? I don't know how its extensions compare to the BASH extensions,
> nor do I know how it compares with speed.
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: