Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Re: [BLUG] December meeting?

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:04:53AM -0500, Barry Schatz wrote:
> Also, I switched from Bash to Zsh and started using Vi keybindings. Any
> suggestions for how to cope with the new paradigm?

Just an FYI, VI keybindings are also available in GNU Bash.

They're handled by the GNU Readline library, so if properly configured
all your GNU Readline programs get VI-like bindings.

The setting is in "~/.inputrc". I did it years ago. It looks like
it is documented in readline(3).

I've never used the ZSH. I have heard vague positive things about it,
though. I'm a heavy BASH scripter (though I try to stick with DASH
compatible scripts due to speed issues). IIRC, ZSH is a Bourne shell,
right? I don't know how its extensions compare to the BASH extensions,
nor do I know how it compares with speed.

Cheers,

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

No comments: