Tuesday, February 3, 2009

[BLUG] insane software prices

This is more of a short rant than anything else, but I was reading an interesting book, http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/067003830X about brain plasticity.  One of the people interviewed for the book was Michael Merzenich, a neuroscientist who among other things, started a company called Posit Science that produces brain training software.  I thought I'd go take a look at what they had to offer.  Their main offering Brain Fitness Program classic looked at least somewhat interesting until I found the pricing.  It's $400!  And their other offering, In Sight, is also $400.  If you buy both, you can save a whopping $100 and get both programs for $700!  The only demo of either product is a little flash demo of InSight and while the programs were developed after scientific research I can't help but think $400 is far too excessive.  I want to try their software, but I am most certainly not plopping down $400 for that opportunity. Perhaps I am not the target audience for their company, maybe they aim to sell volume licenses to larger groups.  But still, it begs the question, how much is too much when it comes to the price of software? 


No comments: