Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] insane software prices

Ben Shewmaker wrote:
> This is more of a short rant than anything else, but I was reading an
> interesting book,
> http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/067003830X
> about brain plasticity. One of the people interviewed for the book was
> Michael Merzenich, a neuroscientist who among other things, started a
> company called Posit Science that produces brain training software. I
> thought I'd go take a look at what they had to offer. Their main
> offering Brain Fitness Program classic looked at least somewhat
> interesting until I found the pricing. It's $400! And their other
> offering, In Sight, is also $400. If you buy both, you can save a
> whopping $100 and get both programs for $700! The only demo of either
> product is a little flash demo of InSight and while the programs were
> developed after scientific research I can't help but think $400 is far
> too excessive. I want to try their software, but I am most certainly
> not plopping down $400 for that opportunity. Perhaps I am not the target
> audience for their company, maybe they aim to sell volume licenses to
> larger groups.

> But still, it begs the question, how much is too much
> when it comes to the price of software?

If enough people feel the same way as you do, then they won't sell
enough to recoup costs and make a profit. *That* will be what determines
the "how much" that's "too much".

I suspect the target market for this software is large corporate
training. In this economy, that's gonna be weak. My guess is you could
negotiate a much more favorable price directly.

--
Mark Warner
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: