Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] insane software prices

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> wrote:
> Steven Black wrote:
>> Heh.
>>
>> I realized that fundamental tenants of freedom were seeping in to other
>> areas of my life when I realized I was actually willing to not listen to
>> music not licensed in a manner I was comfortable with.
>>
>> What is the difference between charging $400 vs $40, when it is the
>> fundamental practice that is flawed?
>>
>
> Just what are your "fundamental tenants of freedom", Steven? Is it your
> right to decide on behalf of the author how much their work is worth?
>
> --
> Joe Auty
> NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
> http://www.netmusician.org
> joe@netmusician.org

I won't speak for Steven, but I'll share what it means to me and thus
what I believe he meant.

The fundamental tenets of freedom are the freedoms to use, study,
re-distribute and modify. See freedomdefined.org for a more thorough
walk-through of how these apply to cultural works such as music.

And yes, it's my right to decide how much an author's work is worth.
When I don't buy a work I've decided it's worth nothing, when I do buy
a work I've agreed with the seller that it's worth whatever I pay.

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: