Thursday, June 4, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Alternative focus

Quoting Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu>:

> Apparently in GNOME it was considered a "raise-on-click controversy."

Gotta love how these things can develop into full-blown controversies.

> So as of at least 2008, there is a general GNOME setting for this. (This
> as a result of almost every distribution patching metacity to add the
> feature. They all used different -- frequently buggy -- patches.)
>
> In http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14289 the instructions
> for setting it is:
> |1) click alt+f2 and type in gconf-editor
> |2) go to apps>metacity>general
> |3) remove the tick in raise_on_click
>
> More information about this can be found on:
> * http://blogs.gnome.org/metacity/2007/11/14/journal-2007-11-13/
> * http://lwn.net/Articles/148007/
>

Awesome, thanks. I'll probably get around to using a big desktop soon,
then I can put this to good use. I think the reason I decided to use a
minimal WM was to force myself to get used to using the resources at a
more basic level.
I still have that goal, but on the other hand the desktops come
packaged with so much neat stuff that keeps changing, and just
wandering around or using the defaults in the desktop for a while can
give you an idea of things that exist that you might never have known.

> What can actually become more of an annoyance if you don't find it
> elsewhere are the easy titlebar one-clicks to raise and lower the
> window. I can be otherwise accepting of a click-to-raise/click-to-focus
> environment, but still annoyed if I can't easily raise and lower a
> window.

I agree. I hadn't mentioned that with FVWM's MouseFocusClickRaisesOff
the window still raises if you click the titlebar, and I use that from
time to time. I've never used though, or even thought of for that
matter, a titlebar click to lower the window... sounds interesting.

By the way I just read my original message on this topic and see how it
might not have been totally clear at first what I meant.

Later,
Chad

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: