Thursday, June 4, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

Kirk Gleason wrote:
> So I may be joinging this thread late, and it has probably been a
> couple of years since my last post to this list. Oh well, I'm back.
You are not late! I want this thread to be epic!
>
> I have been doing way more with linux than ever before, but nothing
> really all that spectacular. Here is a rundown from the last few
> months (this is all on virtual servers -- no desktop stuff for me).
>
> * I replaced our mail platform at works. We moved from
> CommunigatePro running on OS X to Zimbra running on Zimbra. I
> was (am) excited about the change. The users were less so.
>
I might ask you about Zimbra. I'm playing around with it on my own time.
Unfortunately, It's hard to get used to because it takes over the
machine and does everything its own way. Then again, I'm biased because
I'm used to Debian's packaging.
>
> * We are in the process of revamping our CRM system, and migrating
> from Act! running on Windows to SugarCRM. RIght now our testing
> of Sugar is on a linux server, but that will likely change (too
> much advantage to having the CRM database in SQL Server).
> * Last July we cut from a trditional PBX with POTS lines to 100%
> SIP based Asterisk.
> * I just finished installed laconica microblogging service on a
> Linux host for a pilot program at work.
>
I'm a huge fan of Laconica. I look forward to a federated system of
Laconica servers replacing Twitter.
>
> * We are working on implementing document management using OSS
> with a Linux backend.
>
In a pinch, you can use SVN. It's not pretty (and doesn't do diffs), but
it does version binaries. I take it you have a more appropriate solution
in mind?
>
> So I have a load of fairly stock linux servers running a bunch of
> different software (almost all OSS). The fun part is that all of my
> admins are Windows guys. We have no $$ for extra Windows licenses, so
> Linux it is. I suppose the most exciting thing I am doing with Linux
> right now is my own in-house training for all of these admins who are
> hesitant (or is it stubborn) to embrace linux.
> Since work bought me a Mac laptop, I have not run a Linux desktop.
> However, that itch is starting to come back, so maybe someday soon.
> Anyone know of any new promising looking distros? Maybe something with
> E17?
Debian just released Lenny in February. That means Squeeze (testing) has
current software again. There are e17 packages, but they're in
experimental.
> Last thing. I have also been toying with the idea of an LFS system.
> Has anyone ever done it?
>
> Kirk

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: