Thursday, July 30, 2009

[BLUG] Did ATT mess up your cell phone, too?

Who in the Bloomington area noticed that their cell phone had the wrong
time? I woke up and noticed that my cell phone (which serves as my alarm
clock) was an hour behind my normal clock (a simple clock radio from
Radio Shack). I went to my computer and tried date, ntpdate, date again,
date -u, and I realized that I was late for work.

My girlfriend and a bunch of people at Cook were affected, and a lot of
people at my job we similarly bothered that the cell tower didn't send a
reliable timestamp. It seems the Bloomington ATT cell tower is on CDT
(GMT-5) instead of EDT (GMT-4). Who else got bit?

And now, my obligatory rant about timezones. It's (mostly) a joke.
If we did away with timezones, this wouldn't be an issue. No time
changes, no wondering what time it is in another part of the world, and
greatly reduced jetlag would all be benefits. The weather reports
already have sunrise and sunset times, so it can't be that hard to add
in local high noon and midnight times as well. The workday in the
"Eastern" timezone would go from 12:00 through 20:00. Best of all, we
wouldn't have the nasty uptick in driving accidents and fatalities every
Spring when daylight savings time steals an hour.

-Barry
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: