Thursday, July 30, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Did ATT mess up your cell phone, too?

Yep, mine's an hour off. Weird. Must be what Apple has been warning
people about when jail-breaking their iPhones! *rolls eyes*

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:26 -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
> Who in the Bloomington area noticed that their cell phone had the wrong
> time? I woke up and noticed that my cell phone (which serves as my alarm
> clock) was an hour behind my normal clock (a simple clock radio from
> Radio Shack). I went to my computer and tried date, ntpdate, date again,
> date -u, and I realized that I was late for work.
>
> My girlfriend and a bunch of people at Cook were affected, and a lot of
> people at my job we similarly bothered that the cell tower didn't send a
> reliable timestamp. It seems the Bloomington ATT cell tower is on CDT
> (GMT-5) instead of EDT (GMT-4). Who else got bit?
>
> And now, my obligatory rant about timezones. It's (mostly) a joke.
> If we did away with timezones, this wouldn't be an issue. No time
> changes, no wondering what time it is in another part of the world, and
> greatly reduced jetlag would all be benefits. The weather reports
> already have sunrise and sunset times, so it can't be that hard to add
> in local high noon and midnight times as well. The workday in the
> "Eastern" timezone would go from 12:00 through 20:00. Best of all, we
> wouldn't have the nasty uptick in driving accidents and fatalities every
> Spring when daylight savings time steals an hour.
>
> -Barry
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: