Thursday, July 30, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Did ATT mess up your cell phone, too?

Jordan: Clocky? Is that a name for a pet rooster?

-- Steven Black

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:29:30AM -0400, Jordan Thevenow-Harrison wrote:
> Yeah, this happened to me. Luckily my Clocky woke me up at the right
> time. It seems like someone must have actively changed something to
> make this happen. Also, liabilities?
> --
> Jordan Thevenow-Harrison
> jtth@jtth.net
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:26, Barry Schatz<sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Who in the Bloomington area noticed that their cell phone had the wrong
> > time? I woke up and noticed that my cell phone (which serves as my alarm
> > clock) was an hour behind my normal clock (a simple clock radio from
> > Radio Shack). I went to my computer and tried date, ntpdate, date again,
> > date -u, and I realized that I was late for work.
> >
> > My girlfriend and a bunch of people at Cook were affected, and a lot of
> > people at my job we similarly bothered that the cell tower didn't send a
> > reliable timestamp. It seems the Bloomington ATT cell tower is on CDT
> > (GMT-5) instead of EDT (GMT-4). Who else got bit?
> >
> > And now, my obligatory rant about timezones. It's (mostly) a joke.
> > If we did away with timezones, this wouldn't be an issue. No time
> > changes, no wondering what time it is in another part of the world, and
> > greatly reduced jetlag would all be benefits. The weather reports
> > already have sunrise and sunset times, so it can't be that hard to add
> > in local high noon and midnight times as well. The workday in the
> > "Eastern" timezone would go from 12:00 through 20:00. Best of all, we
> > wouldn't have the nasty uptick in driving accidents and fatalities every
> > Spring when daylight savings time steals an hour.
> >
> > -Barry
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: