Thursday, July 30, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Did ATT mess up your cell phone, too?

Yeah, this happened to me. Luckily my Clocky woke me up at the right
time. It seems like someone must have actively changed something to
make this happen. Also, liabilities?
--
Jordan Thevenow-Harrison
jtth@jtth.net

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:26, Barry Schatz<sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who in the Bloomington area noticed that their cell phone had the wrong
> time? I woke up and noticed that my cell phone (which serves as my alarm
> clock) was an hour behind my normal clock (a simple clock radio from
> Radio Shack). I went to my computer and tried date, ntpdate, date again,
> date -u, and I realized that I was late for work.
>
> My girlfriend and a bunch of people at Cook were affected, and a lot of
> people at my job we similarly bothered that the cell tower didn't send a
> reliable timestamp. It seems the Bloomington ATT cell tower is on CDT
> (GMT-5) instead of EDT (GMT-4). Who else got bit?
>
> And now, my obligatory rant about timezones. It's (mostly) a joke.
> If we did away with timezones, this wouldn't be an issue. No time
> changes, no wondering what time it is in another part of the world, and
> greatly reduced jetlag would all be benefits. The weather reports
> already have sunrise and sunset times, so it can't be that hard to add
> in local high noon and midnight times as well. The workday in the
> "Eastern" timezone would go from 12:00 through 20:00. Best of all, we
> wouldn't have the nasty uptick in driving accidents and fatalities every
> Spring when daylight savings time steals an hour.
>
> -Barry
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: