Monday, November 16, 2009

Re: [BLUG] My Ubuntu/Linux bitch

Joe Auty wrote:
>
> The whole "year of the Desktop" proposition has always implied (to me)
> that it would be the year of the Desktop not only for geeks like
> ourselves, but for the masses. Linux is very far away from being
> consumable by the masses, at least using Ubuntu as a metric... See
> monitor management, getting sound to work, video, etc.. Then, you have
> the whole category of usability which is a little hit and miss, in my
> opinion.

I can only speak from my own limited experience, installing and setting
up desktop Linux (PCLinuxOS and SimplyMEPIS, specifically, as I feel KDE
3.5.10 is the most "intuitive" DTE for Joe User) distros for a handful
of folks: once installed, set up, and configured, I've yet to have an
unsophisticated home user have any problem using Linux just as they
would Windows. My 14-year-old niece is the latest example.

That presumes, of course, that you *are* able to install on the hardware
at hand, but does *not* presume that the user is the one doing the
installing. I dare say the people I/we are referring to wouldn't be able
to install Windows cleanly either, especially in a situation where
drivers weren't available natively in the Win OS.

--
Mark Warner
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: