Monday, November 16, 2009

Re: [BLUG] My Ubuntu/Linux bitch

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 03:06:23PM -0500, Mark Warner wrote:
> Mark Krenz wrote:
> > Sometimes after I upgrade to a new version of Gnome, I login thinking
> > "Wow, this is gonna be cool, I can't wait to see how different it looks"
> > and then I login and think, hmmmm, it looks about the same. ;-)
>
> I envy you Gnomies in that regard. I'm not looking forward to making the
> leap to KDE 4.

I'm looking forward to KDE 4 settling down. By "settling down" I mean
being that all applications are at feature-parity with their KDE 3.5
equivalents plus being as stable as the 3.5 line.

Though, as I've said before, I really like Phonon. It works in an easy
to understand, easy to use way *and* (more importantly) the way it works
is how I want it to work.

The SVG support in KDE4 is really nice, particularly for the games.
Note, though, that SVG support is old hat for GNOME. It was missing
functionality in KDE 3.5.

> Then again, if I was using Windows, it would be W2K.

New or unfamiliar users like big flashy changes. These appear to be
clear reasons why X is better (or frequently just different) than Y.
Experienced users on the other hand, tend to be far less fond of big
radical changes -- particularly when the big changes do not clearly make
things better for the way they want to use the system.

--
Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: