Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Install Fest

Erik Wallace wrote:
> Hi,
> I was one of the two new users wanting to learn about linux. When
> are we going to have this install fest? At the time I first wrote to
> Mark Krenz about installing linux, I didn't even know what distro I
> wanted. By now I know that I want to dual boot windows and kubuntu,
> with adobe creative suite and scanner software on windows, and tex/cas
> software on kubuntu. I even have some idea of what it will take to
> set up the dual boot. Currently my partition structure is as follows:
>
> 49MB Dell Utility
> 11GB Recovery
> 67GB OS (Vista)
> 2.1GB Extended
> - 2.1 GB Media Direct
>
> I would like to repartition as follows:
>
> 49MB Dell Utility
> 26GB Vista
> 54.1GB Extended
> -10GB /
> -2GB swap
> -40GB /home/
> -2.1GB Media Direct

Is this a desktop? If so, the simplest and safest solution would be to
add a secondary hard drive and give it over to Linux entirely.

I don't know about any Install Fest, but if you'd like I can assist you
live and in person, my place or yours.

As far as Kubuntu is concerned, I hope you understand that it stays
close to the bleeding edge, and may not be as stable or bug-free as some
of the alternatives. IMO, KDE4.x and Grub2 are just a little too fresh
for a production environment. That said, with the *buntus, there's a
huge user base to draw on for help and support.

Again, JMO. YMMV.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: