Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Install Fest

My computer is a dell laptop.  I have all of the original recovery disks (still unopened).  As far as creating a reliable image of my HD, I was planning to use clonezilla or partimage.   I am well aware that Kubutu is not the most stable version (I have tried several distros on Live CD).  However the particular approach I described (e.g. using a separate home partition) was influenced by a fellow math graduate student here at IU. He also mentioned that gimp *with* plug-ins will have most if not all of what photoshop has to offer.  Gimp without plug-ins will not cut it, as I have already tried it.  But I will also need replacements for flash, fireworks, illustrator, and dreamweaver.

I don't particularly care who makes the software so long as it works for my purposes.  The only way to know that is if I try it, so until I am confident that GIMP and other programs will work for me, I really need to keep photoshop, flash, etc.  Also my scanner was bought speciffically for the purpose of scanning from transparencies, and I heard on the linux forums that the linux software for that particular scanner does not support transparency scans.  The recommended solution, was to run Epson's software in virtual box in XP.  Wine was also offered as a possibility for the adobe software.  But keeping a windows operating system on the HD, would take care of both problems.  Usually though I would boot straight into Linux.

When I first emailed Mark Krenz about this, and signed up for the BLUG email list, there was a lot of talk about getting meetings going again, and in particular an install fest, and then nothing happened.   I could probably get my friend here in the math department to help me, but I was really looking forward to meeting some other linux people in Bloomington.  I would certainly appreciate the help from someone, even if it is only general guidance.

Best wishes,

Erik

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:


Erik Wallace wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was one of the two new users wanting to learn about linux.  When
> are we going to have this install fest?   At the time I first wrote to
> Mark Krenz about installing linux, I didn't even know what distro I
> wanted.  By now I know that I want to dual boot windows and kubuntu,
> with adobe creative suite and scanner software on windows, and tex/cas
> software on kubuntu.  I even have some idea of what it will take to
> set up the dual boot.  Currently my partition structure is as follows:
>
> 49MB Dell Utility
> 11GB Recovery
> 67GB OS (Vista)
> 2.1GB Extended
> - 2.1 GB Media Direct
>
> I would like to repartition as follows:
>
> 49MB Dell Utility
> 26GB Vista
> 54.1GB Extended
> -10GB /
> -2GB swap
> -40GB /home/
> -2.1GB Media Direct

Is this a desktop? If so, the simplest and safest solution would be to
add a secondary hard drive and give it over to Linux entirely.

I don't know about any Install Fest, but if you'd like I can assist you
live and in person, my place or yours.

As far as Kubuntu is concerned, I hope you understand that it stays
close to the bleeding edge, and may not be as stable or bug-free as some
of the alternatives. IMO, KDE4.x and Grub2 are just a little too fresh
for a production environment. That said, with the *buntus, there's a
huge user base to draw on for help and support.

Again, JMO. YMMV.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318



_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: