Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Server monitoring tools

It kind of seems that all of this is a matter of need and design more so than there being legitimate debate over there being a clear cut dominant tool. Comparing Nagios to Zenoss seems like an apples vs. oranges comparison - namely comparing a tool vs. a turnkey application.

If you want to, for instance, not have your monitoring software bother you during maintenance windows, or require x number of failures prior to notification, or setup ACLs for various people to see various things, or integrate your graphing stuff, and don't want to invest a whole lot of time into building these pieces yourself, a turnkey style application such as Zenoss is probably better suited for your purposes.


Lord Drachenblut wrote:
Just to drop a name that I haven't used personally. Opennms

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:15 PM, Steven Black <yam655@gmail.com> wrote:

I've used Nagios, though not the current version. I'm currently migrating to Zenoss as it does a lot more. (Especially with some tweaks.)

I like Python, though, so mucking around with Python to extend it is something I sort of enjoy. My setup displays all the installed packages, as well as the more typical system info.

On Mar 10, 2010 6:49 PM, "Kirk Gleason" <kgleason@gmail.com> wrote:

All,
 Recently I went to a demo from a vendor about server / service
monitoring. One of the presenters kept telling us how "sexy" it all
was. I do have to admit that you can do some cool stuff with WMI and
server monitoring. Of course once they were asked about providing the
same stuff for non-Windows servers, the crowd was presented with the
blank stare and babbling response that no sales person ever wants to
give.
 However this presentation got me thinking. What is out there? I am
currently using a Nagios install for availability monitoring and Cacti
for historical performance graphing. I do like what I can get from the
NSclient++ and WMI monitoring on the windows machines, but the same
type of functionality for linux always seem kludgy and clunky to me.
Maybe it is me. I don't really have any specific example (I am at
basketball practice for one of my kids as I type this), but it seems
like I should be able to get more.
 I've tried Groundwork Open Source and Zenoss in addition to Nagios
with various combinations of Cacti and/or mrtg. I always seem to come
back to Nagios, and I always seem to start immediately looking for
something else.
 Which brings me to my question: is anyone doing any type of
monitoring / graphing out there? If so, what tools are you using?  How
would you rate your current solution to other things you have tried?

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kirk Gleason
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
 
_______________________________________________ BLUG mailing list BLUG@linuxfan.com http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug


--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful, professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.
www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org

No comments: