Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Install Fest

Hi Mark
Ok, well that sounds pretty close to what I had in mind.  So far as I understand media direct is supposed to allow viewing of DVD's without launching into the OS, I have not made much use of it though.  I think you are right that blowing everything away and repartitioning from scratch is a better idea.  But do I really need to be installing windows 7? If I can get my hands on an XP disk, why bother with windows 7?  I even have a Vista installation CD among my recovery CDs, so if windows 7 were to be installed, it seems I could use my Vista installation CD and then install windows 7 over it.  You mentioned earlier that you would be willing to help me set this up.  If you really are willing to do this, then maybe we could arrange a time for it soon.  Thank you for all of your advice.

Best wishes,

Erik

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:
If it were mine I'd backup/image/whatever, then blow everything away,
and repartition the raw drive with a target NTFS basic partition for
Windows, and an extended with a swap, root, and home partition for
Linux. (I don't know what the Media Direct thing is all about.) Then
install Windows using the recovery disks, followed by the Linux install.

OEM installs with all the hidden partitions and whatnot are a right
PITA. It appears you are affiliated with IU? You can get a Windows 7
disk for $20. An install of XP or Vista is a prerequisite, but that's
easily accomplished -- get a copy of the IU XP disk (everybody in town
has one), do a quick base install, then install Win 7. After going
through all that nonsense, the Linux install will be a breeze, and
you'll have a much greater appreciation for what FOSS is all about.

Erik Wallace wrote:
> My computer is a dell laptop.  I have all of the original recovery disks
> (still unopened).

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318



_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: