Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

Mark Warner wrote:
Joe Auty wrote:   
Mark Warner wrote:     
Joe Auty wrote:       
   I know this is sort of troll-like, but I do mean this in a constructive  way. I've wanted Linux to be ready for the Desktop, but I just don't  think it will ever get there. At what point does it make sense to just  focus on using Linux on servers and give up on using it as a Desktop OS?  The failings of Ubuntu,          
I'd suggest you try something besides Ubuntu. In my (admittedly limited)  experience, there are desktop distros out there that are far more stable  than Ubuntu. Perhaps Debian stable, or a direct derivative thereof (see  my sig)?       
I've thought about switching distros, but the biggest bug I'm facing is  the ethernet controller problem, and this exists in multiple distros:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/454747     
 Why not replace the VIA ethernet card? It's ten bucks, fer cryin' out loud.    

I'd love to, but it's built into the motherboard and I don't have any free PCI slots (I use one for my video and the other for my Hauppauge capture card).


--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful, professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.
www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org

No comments: