Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

Joe Auty wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>> Joe Auty wrote:
>>>
>>> I know this is sort of troll-like, but I do mean this in a constructive
>>> way. I've wanted Linux to be ready for the Desktop, but I just don't
>>> think it will ever get there. At what point does it make sense to just
>>> focus on using Linux on servers and give up on using it as a Desktop OS?
>>>
>>> The failings of Ubuntu,
>>
>> I'd suggest you try something besides Ubuntu. In my (admittedly limited)
>> experience, there are desktop distros out there that are far more stable
>> than Ubuntu. Perhaps Debian stable, or a direct derivative thereof (see
>> my sig)?
>
> I've thought about switching distros, but the biggest bug I'm facing is
> the ethernet controller problem, and this exists in multiple distros:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/454747

Why not replace the VIA ethernet card? It's ten bucks, fer cryin' out loud.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: