Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

> Is there any reason why I should not give up on Desktop Linux, guys? I
> don't mean to be troll-ish at all, I'm a very heavy Linux/BSD user, I
> like the idea of consolidating on Linux for my day-to-day use, I'm
> rooting for it. But, it is what it is. Is there a point where it's just
> a complete waste of effort to expend more resources into Desktop Linux?
> Now that I'm a full-time freelancer, I certainly don't have as much
> interest as I used to in fiddling with Linux for my entertainment
> purposes, it's just a huge time sink.

Well, what can I say? You're using Ubuntu, and while I think that
Ubuntu has done a lot of good things for Desktop Linux, it's not
synonomous with it. Particularly, it's not really the most stable
distribution out there. If you want something that is stable and
solid, go with one of the enterprise desktop solutions like RHEL or
SUSE Enterprise Linux. They focus more on reliable desktop
experiences. I haven't used Suse Enterprise Linux yet, but I plan to
do so this Summer.

Basically, there's a lot that needs to be done in order to help make
Linux a more reliable desktop, but systems are becoming more and more
reliable, so I'd say we're not moving backwards.

Aaron W. Hsu
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: