Friday, May 7, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Erik Wallace <eriktwallace@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My big problem with the Gimp is that all the little windows are really
>> old-fashioned. I'm used to environments where I don't need to manually
>> move windows around and then still not get the windows placed in a
>> manner I can use them all at once without my desktop showing through.
>> A minor annoyance to be sure, but an annoyance to be sure.
>
> I agree that the independent windows are old fashioned.  Gimpshop actually
> has
> this thing called a "deweirdifier" which takes care of this problem (in the
> windows
> version at least).  If I really wanted to, I could install an older version
> of Gimp
> and use gimpshop with it, but I still wouldn't have the 12/16 bit per
> channel capability.
>
>> I suspect none of the developers have considered it important. The
>> advantage of open-source software is that you can check to see if it
>> is on the list of things that will ever happen, and if no one has
>> thought of it you can provide the idea.
>
> Well at least according to the FAQ on the Gimp webpage, it has been on their
> list for
> quite a while, and they claimed it would be ready when version 2.4 came
> out.  We are
> at version 2.6!  I really think they should ditch all other adjustments to
> the program,
> and focus on this problem, as well as borrowing the gimpshop idea, with the
> deweirdifier, as a standard part of the program.  At this point, that's
> pretty much all
> they need to do to become competitive with photoshop.
>
> But I started my previous comments by saying how much I like Ubuntu, and
> Linux in
> general.  In addition to what people have already said, one thing I love
> about it
> is the ease of using latex!  Installing latex packages in Windows was always
> a chore.
> In linux, I just install texlive!  And, compiling PDF's is also easier.  So,
> when it comes
> down to it, I boot into Linux the vast majority of the time, and boot into
> windows only
> when I need to use photoshop.
>
> -Erik

I agree that the GIMP could stand to get certain features, like
greater (or arbitrary) color depth, and CMYK color spaces. I don't
feel a particular need for them myself, in my everyday use, but I
would appreciate knowing they're there.

Particularly arbitrary color depth because I have a DSLR that take
photos in RAW; however, even when I used Photoshop, I had to render it
to 8bit color before I could do anything with it, so I don't feel a
loss working that way now.

As Free Software, they can never afford to pay for proprietary color
space licenses, though, so they will never compete with Photoshop in
the commercial printing arena, I don't think, but I don't think that's
really the goal.

I disagree that the GIMP needs to change it's interface to become a
Photoshop clone. If enough people were that enthusiastic about copying
the Photoshop structure in GIMP, I assume, the GIMPshop would be a
more successful project.

I used to be a Photoshop user before I started using Linux and, at the
time that I started divesting myself of proprietary software
addictions, I did use GIMPshop. But, while it put the menus in
generally familiar areas, it didn't behave enough like Photoshop for
that to help too much.

The GIMP is a different program, and simply mixing the menus around
doesn't change that.

I quickly gave up on the idea of having a "Photoshop clone", and
started using the GIMP as it came pre-installed and frankly that
helped me get over the learning curve faster because it wasn't quite
so easy to expect it to behave like Photoshop once I stopped asking it
to play dress up as Photoshop.

Of course, my goal was to be free of proprietary software, not just to
have a free Photoshop clone.

And my livelihood does not depend on image manipulation, so I don't
really *need* any of the things that Photoshop does that the GIMP
doesn't, and it's entirely not worth the license price tag to me.

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: