Friday, May 7, 2010

Re: [BLUG] I don't think Linux will ever be ready for the Desktop

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Steven Black <yam655@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really where I have to disagree on principle.
>
> Why do I use Linux?
*snip*
>
> I believe that the best open-source software is focused on serving the
> user population before it is focused on serving commercial purposes.
*snip*
>
> We don't need *any* Adobe product. It should shame the Linux community
> that it was Steve Jobs saying they don't need Flash and not the Linux
> community.
*snip*
>
> Cheers,
> Steven Black

I agree that we don't need those packages, hell I use GIMP on Windows
even if it's installed side-by-side with Adobe CS3 (which it is at my
work) and I understand HTML 5 should obsolete some of the more common
situations where Flash is currently "needed".

And I agree that even without those big commercial packages Linux
adoption will grow for the reasons you listed and more...leading to
those same big commercial packages being released for Linux...leading
to more people using Linux.

I don't think we're disagreeing on principle here. Or am I missing something?

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: