Wednesday, November 17, 2010

[BLUG] Story of reversed roles

I saw an interesting thing happen on Saturday at PC Max.

While in there looking for wireless bridging equipment, I overheard a
conversation between two customers, a mother and what I assume was her
teenage son, talking to the salesman about Linux. The interesting thing
is that the mother was actually trying to convince her son that Linux
was good and he was the one being skeptical, making an excuse about it
possibly not running many games. Being the geek I am, I suddenly felt
and uncontrollable urge to become a 12 year old kid in a computer store
and found myself interjecting that it does play lots of games using Wine
and pointed out that probably half the games that you see on the shelves
would actually fully install and run under Wine these days. It at least
seemed to debunk a myth for him a little bit.

I'm not saying that it was unusual for a woman to be advocating Linux,
or perhaps even a mother, its just that you don't see it happen often or
even hear of it happening often. Anyways, thought it was an interesting
thing to share.

--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: