Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Re: [BLUG] Story of reversed roles

An application for writing to check out is focuswriter.  Available from gottcode.org/focuswriter  available for linux windows and osx

On Nov 17, 2010 11:04 AM, "Ana Greavu-Rachow" <pawsitiveresults@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL!
>
> Husband has been teaching stepdaughter to play chess.... "Wow! There are
> ALL THESE CHESS GAMES on here, Dad!"
> She also likes to write stories...and I've got OOo on her Dad's Windows
> machine, so she's totally accustomed to using that instead of a Microsoft
> product. Her little hands are really the ideal size for a tiny little
> netbook keyboard, and, as I said, she's just really quickly taken to it.
>
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi Ana. Do you have a shovel? I need to dig myself out of this hole
>> I've gotten into. ;-)
>>
>> I'm happy to see that you've had lots of success converting people.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 03:28:17PM GMT, Ana Greavu-Rachow [
>> pawsitiveresults@gmail.com] said the following:
>> > I've got my husband using a Linux netbook these days, and my 11-year-old
>> > stepdaughter is constantly asking to borrow it...I gave her an older Mac,
>> > that she pretty much refused to learn to use, but she's doing MUCH better
>> > with Linux...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ana Greavu-Rachow
>> > UAg-I Thunderpaws Blackheart MX MXJ PD1 PJ3 PS2 PR2 PK2 CL4 "Jett"
>> > UAg-I Norwood's Linux Hypervisor AX OAJ JHD AD AG AJ SR CL2 CL3-RSF "Xen"
>> >
>> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > >
>> > > I saw an interesting thing happen on Saturday at PC Max.
>> > >
>> > > While in there looking for wireless bridging equipment, I overheard a
>> > > conversation between two customers, a mother and what I assume was her
>> > > teenage son, talking to the salesman about Linux. The interesting thing
>> > > is that the mother was actually trying to convince her son that Linux
>> > > was good and he was the one being skeptical, making an excuse about it
>> > > possibly not running many games. Being the geek I am, I suddenly felt
>> > > and uncontrollable urge to become a 12 year old kid in a computer store
>> > > and found myself interjecting that it does play lots of games using
>> Wine
>> > > and pointed out that probably half the games that you see on the
>> shelves
>> > > would actually fully install and run under Wine these days. It at
>> least
>> > > seemed to debunk a myth for him a little bit.
>> > >
>> > > I'm not saying that it was unusual for a woman to be advocating Linux,
>> > > or perhaps even a mother, its just that you don't see it happen often
>> or
>> > > even hear of it happening often. Anyways, thought it was an interesting
>> > > thing to share.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > Mark Krenz
>> > > Bloomington Linux Users Group
>> > > http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
>> > > _______________________________________________
>> > > BLUG mailing list
>> > > BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> > > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>> > >
>>
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > BLUG mailing list
>> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Krenz
>> Bloomington Linux Users Group
>> http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
>> _______________________________________________
>> BLUG mailing list
>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Ana Greavu-Rachow
> UAg-I Thunderpaws Blackheart MX MXJ PD1 PJ3 PS2 PR2 PK2 CL4 "Jett"
> UAg-I Norwood's Linux Hypervisor AX OAJ JHD AD AG AJ SR CL2 CL3-RSF "Xen"

No comments: