Monday, May 2, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Att dsl

My own 2-cents on a topic that is constantly vexing me...

I have 4 locations using ATT DSL.  The Netopia's I have (3477's I think) are better then the Westell's.    Unfortunately, Motorola bought out Netopia and I honestly think what ATT supplies me with now from Motorola is even worse.  They set on a shelf as last ditch alternative in case the the Netopia's die.

Based on my own experience, your best bet is to call ATT tech support and ask them to help you put your modem into 'full bridge' mode.  You can then stick a router on the back side of the modem to handle authentication, NAT, SPI, encryption, port assignments, VPN's etc.  Most of my locations have a Cisco firewall behind the modem but two smaller locations use RV042 series firewall and they work very well 

Seriously, even the simplest Linksys router/firewall like the BEFSX41 is an electronic Fort Knox compared to the crappy modems the ISP's provide you.  Verizon is the same way.  I have their junk Westell's in a couple of location too.

Sadly, I have the same crappy Westell modem from Smithville at home.  Soon, they are gonna cut a trench across my yard and run fiber to my house and I'm hoping I'll get a serious upgrade in equipment from them when that happens.

No comments: