Monday, May 2, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Att dsl

This I am interested in. We recently moved to UVerse, and I have what I think is a relatively new config. I have an external (as in outside) iNID, and then a 2Wire wireless router inside. I *think* that the STBs are all hooked into the iNID, and the router is only used for wifi. Problem is that the DHCP server keeps quitting on me, and I can't figure out why. If I could turn it off I would, but as it is I have to reset the thing about 2x per week. If they have a bridge mode that tech support can enable, then I will be calling them tonight.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Kevin Ratcliff <kevin@kevinratcliff.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
>  Since this is the Linux Users Group, I would suggest that when you get
> fiber to the house that you change your router to a Linux router setup
> on a low end PC. You should still pick reliable parts, but you can find
> some old Pentium 3 or 4 for $50 that you could slap an extra network
> card in and be fine. It will be much more reliable and flexible.  You
> can even use one of the free router/firewall distributions such as
> SmoothWall, pfSense, Endian, etc. There are a ton of them. The only
> thing is that it'd use more power than one of the home broadband
> routers.

I use an PC Engines ALIX board running pfSense and couldn't be happier:

http://pcengines.ch/alix2d1.htm

Very low power consumption and no moving parts. Uptime on mine is over
400 days now. I've had some power outages during that time, but even a
very small UPS will keep it running for a long time.

You should be able to find one for ~$100.

I have AT&T U-Verse and had to put the provided modem in some sort of
bridging mode before it would pass traffic to pfSense. Don't recall
the brand or model though.

Kevin

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug



--
Kirk Gleason

No comments: