Monday, May 2, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Att dsl

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Mark Krenz wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 11:32:44AM GMT, Kelly McEvilly
> [kellym@wbhcp.com] said the following:
>>
>> Sadly, I have the same crappy Westell modem from Smithville at
>> home. Soon, they are gonna cut a trench across my yard and run
>> fiber to my house and I'm hoping I'll get a serious upgrade in
>> equipment from them when that happens.
>
> Since this is the Linux Users Group, I would suggest that when
> you get fiber to the house that you change your router to a
> Linux router setup on a low end PC. You should still pick
> reliable parts, but you can find some old Pentium 3 or 4 for
> $50 that you could slap an extra network card in and be fine.
> It will be much more reliable and flexible. You can even use
> one of the free router/firewall distributions such as
> SmoothWall, pfSense, Endian, etc. There are a ton of them. The
> only thing is that it'd use more power than one of the home
> broadband routers.

Along that line, you might want to get the Linksys
WRT54GL and flash it to dd-wrt. I have that behind a cable modem
(can't get DSL at all, much less fiber), and it's doing fine.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: