Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Re: [BLUG] insight broadband vs. flets

Unfortunately, I can't test those speeds since my in-laws connect to the internet via ISDN.  And as they only use it to email, they really don't need a faster connection I suppose.  And I agree that advertised speeds are only that.  Insight advertises 10M, but I never get up past 6.  And the fact that I am in Saitama, which is next to Tokyo, makes a big difference in rolling out bigger pipes to the home (especially when you see how close together all their infrastructure is).  But I still find it amazing that the advertised speed for a dsl connection is 5 times faster than the advertised speed in Bloomington.  When I see that other countries are getting much, much faster connections than I am, I can't help but wonder why all of my choices don't even come close.  I mean, how many places in the U.S offer fiber connections at 100M?  I think Verizon is rolling out a little bit of fiber in some places, but I don't think it's that fast.  I suppose it really just boils down to wanting what my neighbors have.

And even if I couldn't get 100M, or even 50M, faster upload speed would really, really be nice.  I do some dabbling in digital audio and I like to do offsite backup to my shared hosting account, and sending uncompressed wavs upstream really takes a long while. 

ben


Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

No comments: