Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Re: [BLUG] insight broadband vs. flets

You get some weird rules when dealing with an apartment complexes. Some
complexes will just tell the local telco or cableco they don't want them
and to get off the property. Others want the telco/cableco to put in
bids against other companies who bring in TV or bandwidth. I was
involved in a project where bandwidth was figured into the rent, but ppl
still ordered cable internet just because they didn't know that other
options existed. As internet becomes more and more of a utility, ppl
seem to expect no options such as for local fone service/cable
service/electrical service. The general public is creating the
monopolies in these markets out of ignorance.

Thank you,
Scott Blaydes


Simón Ruiz wrote:
> They said my address didn't qualify.
>
> I assume that means they haven't fibered up my apartment complex.
>
> Though, honestly, they seemed to get a much better deal because of it.
>
> And, since I can't get cable (the apartment complex controls the cable
> lines), I don't see a free market reason for Verizon to improve their
> service.
>
> It's sort of like that game, with the shoe and the dog--and the
> colorful little cards--that Microsoft is so good at:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonanibal/377841807/
>
> On 5/22/07, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc@cinlug.org> wrote:
>> Simón Ruiz wrote:
>> > FIOS in Fort Wayne is 15M/2M, but I couldn't get it.
>>
>> Why couldn't you get it? I've heard great things about FiOS and if I
>> move into a Verizon service area I'd hate to have the same trouble you
>> had.
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: