Monday, July 30, 2007

[BLUG] Compiz Fusion

Hey guys,

I'm kind of locked into a rather application centric approach to
computing rather than document centric (i.e. the Mac way).

I was just looking at this very cool demo of Compiz Fusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

There are several interesting features in here which would make for some
interesting usability discussion, as well as some useless features such
as the fire paint.

However, one thing I noticed was the OS X Dock. I know there are a few
dock-like implementations, but it seems like all of them require Beryl
to work properly.

At work I'm stuck with a Radeon x600 card, which is actually pretty
modern but unsupported in Beryl. With all of this changing of
communities that has gone on - XGL (or whatever the acronym is), Beryl,
Compiz, Compiz Fusion, I'm a little bit confused as to what the current
status is. My sense is that Compiz Fusion is the project to follow.

At any rate, I'd like to know what page to monitor to see when/if my
x600 card will be supported. I never know whether the pages I do find
are up-to-date or relevant.

Any illumination here would be greatly appreciated!


(If you want to have a usability discussion about this tech demo, I'd
welcome that too :)


--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: