Monday, July 30, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Compiz Fusion

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Beryl is the window manager, Emerald is the theme manager. ATI's
support for Linux is the awful.

- -Rich

Joe Auty wrote:
> Richard Knepper wrote:
>> Joe,
>> Are you talking about support within Ber/XGl/piz for ATI or support in
>> fglrx for your model card?
>>
>> I've used Beryl and Emerald with XGL on two different fglrx-supported
>> cards, without problems, in gentoo and ubuntu.
>>
>> Rich
>
> What is Emerald?
>
> I've tried fglrx and the open source driver, both to no avail. The info
> I found online (on several different pages) seems to suggest that the
> Radeon X600 is a no-go.
>
>
>
>
>
>> Pawsitive Results wrote:
>>> My understanding is that the project forked into Compiz and Beryl, and
>>> has now been disenforked (unforked? spooned?) into Compiz Fusion. I know
>>> this only because I looked it up last night 'cause I had the same
>>> confusion.
>>> Ana
>>> On 7/30/07, *Joe Auty* <joe@netmusician.org
>>> <mailto:joe@netmusician.org>> wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>> I'm kind of locked into a rather application centric approach to
>>> computing rather than document centric (i.e. the Mac way).
>>> I was just looking at this very cool demo of Compiz Fusion:
>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w
>>> There are several interesting features in here which would make for some
>>> interesting usability discussion, as well as some useless features such
>>> as the fire paint.
>>> However, one thing I noticed was the OS X Dock. I know there are a few
>>> dock-like implementations, but it seems like all of them require Beryl
>>> to work properly.
>>> At work I'm stuck with a Radeon x600 card, which is actually pretty
>>> modern but unsupported in Beryl. With all of this changing of
>>> communities that has gone on - XGL (or whatever the acronym is), Beryl,
>>> Compiz, Compiz Fusion, I'm a little bit confused as to what the current
>>> status is. My sense is that Compiz Fusion is the project to follow.
>>> At any rate, I'd like to know what page to monitor to see when/if my
>>> x600 card will be supported. I never know whether the pages I do find
>>> are up-to-date or relevant.
>>> Any illumination here would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>> (If you want to have a usability discussion about this tech demo, I'd
>>> welcome that too :)
>>
>>> --
>>> Joe Auty
>>> NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
>>>

http://www.netmusician.org
>>> joe@netmusician.org <mailto:joe@netmusician.org>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> BLUG mailing list
>>> BLUG@linuxfan.com <mailto:BLUG@linuxfan.com>
>>>

http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

- --
- ------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Knepper rknepper@indiana.edu
Grid Infrastructure Group 812.855.9574

"You deserve free software."
PGP Public Key:
http://php.indiana.edu/~rknepper/rknepper_pubkey.asc
- -----------------------------------------------------------
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFGrivA9hxTT7Mzu7oRAopEAKDf/BIk8JEjX77GAex/ekV9jrA/kACgtO4m
MuEzFKG72yZF2J2QIw5HB/I=
=wpMH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: