Monday, July 30, 2007

[BLUG] Xen vs. VMWare

Hi,

Other than the fact that under Intel XT compatible hardware Xen offers
full hardware virtualization rather than the para-virtualization offered
by VMWare and the like, what other sorts of advantages are there to
running Xen? I don't really care about using my native video card in the
OSes I want to virtualize.

One of my reasons for asking is that it seems that setting up VMWare
Player is much easier under Linux than Xen. I know that Xen was marketed
as the next coming originally, but it seems like this excitement has
died down?

What is the current status with the Xen project, and are there plans to
simply the setup process?

I've never actually seen Xen in action, because it appears like the BIOS
of this PC I'm on doesn't have an option to enable XT, and Xen is
generating related error messages, so I kind of gave up on it thinking I
wasn't going to gain much I couldn't get in VMWare. Should I give it
another go? What is Xen like in managing these OSes, disk images, etc?
I'd love to use an open source project for this sort of thing rather
than VMWare.

I ask the list because I know that there was either a Xen meeting (that
I missed), or one planned (that I will surely make if I can). I would
assume that this means that there are those on this list that know more
than I about this project :)

Anyone care to illuminate here?


--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: