Monday, July 30, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Compiz Fusion

Pawsitive Results wrote:
> My understanding is that the project forked into Compiz and Beryl, and
> has now been disenforked (unforked? spooned?) into Compiz Fusion. I know
> this only because I looked it up last night 'cause I had the same
> confusion.
>

I don't mean to turn this into a critique of Linux as a whole, but this
is the sort of evidence that Linux is sort of a more engineer-centric OS
than an end-user one.

This is cool with me, I'm more of an engineer so this is no slight, but
all of these forks, name changes, etc. must be a marketing nightmare.
Could you imagine trying to push a product on the masses in this fashion?

"It's this! No wait, now it's this and does this, based on this, but
different than this other thing... Now it's the same again, but it has a
different name! Ignore these other websites, they're outdated now" :)


> Ana
>
> On 7/30/07, *Joe Auty* <joe@netmusician.org
> <mailto:joe@netmusician.org>> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm kind of locked into a rather application centric approach to
> computing rather than document centric (i.e. the Mac way).
>
> I was just looking at this very cool demo of Compiz Fusion:
>
>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w
>
> There are several interesting features in here which would make for some
> interesting usability discussion, as well as some useless features such
> as the fire paint.
>
> However, one thing I noticed was the OS X Dock. I know there are a few
> dock-like implementations, but it seems like all of them require Beryl
> to work properly.
>
> At work I'm stuck with a Radeon x600 card, which is actually pretty
> modern but unsupported in Beryl. With all of this changing of
> communities that has gone on - XGL (or whatever the acronym is), Beryl,
> Compiz, Compiz Fusion, I'm a little bit confused as to what the current
> status is. My sense is that Compiz Fusion is the project to follow.
>
> At any rate, I'd like to know what page to monitor to see when/if my
> x600 card will be supported. I never know whether the pages I do find
> are up-to-date or relevant.
>
> Any illumination here would be greatly appreciated!
>
>
> (If you want to have a usability discussion about this tech demo, I'd
> welcome that too :)
>
>
> --
> Joe Auty
> NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
>

http://www.netmusician.org
> joe@netmusician.org <mailto:joe@netmusician.org>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com <mailto:BLUG@linuxfan.com>
>

http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>


--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: