Saturday, July 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] recommendations on a good digi cam

Well, I recommend a Canon Powershot too. That's three recommendations
of the Canon from Linux users. ;-) I had a Powershot 110 that lasted
me for 5 years or so and a now I have a Powershot SD700 IS. Both were
great cameras and I tested several before buying. Sonys may look cool,
but they don't make good still cameras IMHO. If you want a dedicated
video camera, buy a Sony, if you want a good still camera that also
takes videos, go with Canon.

One word of warning though. If you like to take low light pictures,
be careful and try to get samples of the output before buying any
digital camera. In the last couple years, I've noticed that many
cameras of various brands have started taking worse than ideal low light
pictures. They end up very grainy. I'm the kind of person that doesn't
like to use a flash because it gives the picture that plastic fake look
to it.

Also, it was a pleasant surprise to me that my 700 IS had the ability
to do macro shots, which usually requires a special lens on SLR cameras.
So if you want to ever take shots of something very small (like a penny
or something), then you might look for that feature. It can be fun.
Maybe all cameras have this nowadays (haven't looked recently), but it
is was not a typical feature when I bought my last one.

Also, if you like to show off your pictures, Canon cameras make nice
presentation devices as they come standard with a cable too output to
your TV. Also, I'd recommend getting a camera that has standard types
of Memory. Don't get Sony memory sticks. If you happen to have a
Nintendo Wii, it can take standard SD type memory and it has a really
awesome picture presenter channel on the Wii itself that is almost worth
the price of the Wii.

As for Linux compatibity, I've never had any problems really because I
don't attempt to hook the camera directly up to my computer, I usually
just copy the files off the memory card itself.

As for batteries. I never understand why people want to have AA
batteries instead of the lithium recargeable. Sure, if you lose one it
is expensive to replace, but just don't do that. I've never had one
fail on me, but I guess that can happen. AA rechargeable batteries
won't last as long as actual AA batteries. Especially the Energizer
rechargeable ones. Those suck.

Its really too bad that Robert's on Kirkwood went out of business.
They had excellent prices and service. I bought all my cameras there.
I don't know who to go to now that would actually know what they are
talking about and not some Best Buy lacky. Any recommendations on that?

Sorry this went so long. I guess you hit a chord in me.

Mark

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:38:04AM GMT, Michael Schultheiss [schultmc@cinlug.org] said the following:
> Pawsitive Results wrote:
> > I've been *really* happy with my Canon Powershot--mine's an older
> > model, the A520. It was in the price range listed when I bought it, and
> > I couldn't possibly be happier with it. Several agility/border collie
> > friends have asked for my advice, and I've recommended the
> > PowerShot--everyone has been pleased. Better-than-typical macro
> > capability, decent at stopping action.
>
> I second the recommendation of Canon Powershots. They're powered by AA
> batteries, which you can get anywhere. My wife and I had a bad
> experience with a Sony camera with a proprietary battery pack so we've
> used AA powered cameras ever since. Our latest camera was an A650is.
> It was about $400 last year but a recent check shows it for $306.94.
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: