Monday, September 1, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Amarok

I like deb systems as well. I have used others: Suse, Fedora, but ever since I started using Ubuntu and other deb based derivs, I have been reluctant to go back.

Question: If you install another Linux on your hard drive, how do you make enough partitions? /home obviously can be used by whatever distro is on there, so you don't need more that one /home, but are you still limited by the <4 primary partitions? Do you have to set up logical partitions to manage the different Linuxes you have installed? I prefer to have several primary partitions, but have never needed more than /, /home, and /swap. That's three already, so suppose you like to set up / , /usr, /home, /swap, and you want another Linux with its own /, and /usr, making a total of six partitions?

Thanks,
Matthew

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:

Steve Beckley wrote:
I've tried A LOT of distros.  I liked Mepis a lot, but I liked a few others better.  My favorites were Mandriva and Fedora but I couldn't get the sound to work (and yes I did try the obvious and turn the volume up on everything I could find).
Another question:

If I add another linux distro, do I need to add another swap partition or will the other distro recognize and use it?

Hmmm... Mandriva is KDE and Fedora is Gnome... but they're both RPM distros. Me, I'm sold on debs. I'll make an exception for PCLinuxOS, but only because it uses apt/Synaptic.

If you install another distro, the installer's partitioner should detect your existing swap and set it up automagically. It's not necessary to create multiple swaps.


--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318



_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: