Sunday, September 21, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Happy Software Freedom Day!

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Paul Proctor <proctor710@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> You guys don't know me but I am sorta desperate. I know nothing about LINUX.
> I have been using and building PC's since the days of DOS.
> I need a new OS and lots of advice on LINUX. My first step should probably
> be to attend a meeting I guess. Any help would be much apreciated!

Welcome, Paul,

If you've been working with PC's since the days of DOS, and if you're
anything like me, you'll find Linux to be a breath of fresh air.

I know as I began to learn my way around Linux, it was like all of the
good things that have changed in computing since the days of DOS
without all the crud.

Things that need to be complex are, of course, complex (who can we
kid? computers are complex.), and anything that can be simple is. It's
refreshing.

Not to mention, I still have an affinity for the command-line, so
while there was a slight learning curve going from "dir" to "ls", from
"ren" to "mv", etc. learning my way around the bash shell was like
going from a club to a light saber.

Out of curiosity, what is it that brought you to the decision that you
need a new OS?

> Thanx,
> Paul Proctor

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: