Sunday, September 21, 2008

Re: [BLUG] New OS

Agreed.  I'm biased as well, but Ubuntu would be a great place to start.  The other day, I had to set up a Laserjet 4200 via Parallel port (it's a long, dumb story).  I hooked the cable up to a machine running Ubuntu, turned the printer on, and nothing happened.  I was like "well, what the heck do I need to do now?".  I wondered if maybe it would see it if I rebooted.  Just for kicks, I started up Firefox and clicked "print".  Boom, Ubuntu already knew the printer was there and had already set it up for me with the proper driver; no reboot, no driver selection, I DID NOTHING.  I was pleased.

Besides being fairly simple (if you want it to be), I think Ubuntu's greatest strength is its user community.   Check out  http://ubuntuforums.org  and you'll meet one of the most helpful, least agitated groups of Linux users you'll find for any flavor of Linux.

Dave Cooley dcooley@kiva.net


Simón Ruiz wrote:
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:   
The best candidates for desktop Linux are total neophytes that have no Windows knowledge or preconceived notions about how computers (Windows) should operate.     
 I agree.    
And be prepared to get a call when the printer they buy at Staples doesn't work automagically.     
 Actually, IMHO, printing under Ubuntu is MUCH easier than printing under Windows.  In Ubuntu I plug the printer in and BOOM! it's automagically set up for me. WooHoo!  In Windows, I have to pop in the CD and run through the "Yes", "Yes", "Yes" prompts which, if you don't pay attention, install all kinds of extra crud on your computer. Then you have to re-boot.  And woe unto you if you decided to plug the printer in before the step in the installation CD dialog that tells you to...  Simón  _______________________________________________ BLUG mailing list BLUG@linuxfan.com http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug   

No comments: