Sunday, September 21, 2008

Re: [BLUG] New OS

Dave Cooley wrote:
> Agreed. I'm biased as well, but Ubuntu would be a great place to
> start. The other day, I had to set up a Laserjet 4200 via Parallel port
> (it's a long, dumb story). I hooked the cable up to a machine running
> Ubuntu, turned the printer on, and nothing happened. I was like "well,
> what the heck do I need to do now?". I wondered if maybe it would see
> it if I rebooted. Just for kicks, I started up Firefox and clicked
> "print". Boom, Ubuntu already knew the printer was there and had
> already set it up for me with the proper driver; no reboot, no driver
> selection, I DID NOTHING. I was pleased.

Yup, that's been my experience *most* of the time. Usually with older
stuff. It's the latest and greatest that can trip you up.

> Besides being fairly simple (if you want it to be), I think Ubuntu's
> greatest strength is its user community. Check out
> http://ubuntuforums.org and you'll meet one of the most helpful, least
> agitated groups of Linux users you'll find for any flavor of Linux.

What I appreciate about the Ubuntu community is its size -- most
everything you might want to learn about has been posted there
somewhere. Even though I'm not a daily Ubuntu user, the knowledge
contained in the Ubuntu forums and documentation can almost always be
applied to other Debian based distros -- like MEPIS -- that I *do* use.

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: