Monday, June 8, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Apt-get vs Aptitude

>Steven Black wrote:
>> I'm old enough to remember the days when all we had was 'dselect'.
>> I think I'm one of the few, though.

I was working in a RedHat shop, and had become very comfortable with
RPM. Something prompted me to try a debian installation, and as soon
as I had it installed, I said "ok, how to I run updates? How do I
install new software?" All the reference materials I could find
pointed me to dselect (I can't swear that apt-get wasn't available
yet, but it certainly wasn't the standard. This was somewhere around
1998, I'd guess). I spent an hour or two of extreme frustration
trying to get dselect to do what I wanted to do. And, in the end I
said "forget debian". That remained my attitude until I tried Ubuntu
Breezy Badger, which was indeed breezy to install, update packages,
and install additional software. At which point I basically said
"forget redhat".

I've probably underestimated just how important package management
is to me. Honestly, I hate dealing with it, so the faster I get it
done probably correlates strongly with how happy I am with a distro.

David
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: