Monday, June 8, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Apt-get vs Aptitude

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:50:13PM -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
> I never liked dselect. I switched to aptitude shortly after I started
> using Linux (around 2004, Debian Sarge was about to release). dselect
> kept doing unintuitive things like making changes after I quit and
> restarted the program that I thought I had cancelled the first time.
> aptitude's interface was so much nicer. Of course, once I learned
> apt-get I really didn't see why I needed a ncurses interface (I
> didn't realize until later that I could use aptitude like apt-get).

I've met people who didn't know there *was* an ncurses interface. They
saw so many examples of people using apt-get, that they thought that was
all they had. It resulted in them not easily knowing what packages were
available, and due to apt-get's lack of full dependancy supprt, some
package installation frustration.

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: