Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Re: [BLUG] newbee

I remember being appalled by RHEL 4 when I wanted to upgrade to RHEL5.
Having come from Gentoo and BSD (Net and Open), I just couldn't fathom
having to use CDs to upgrade. As I dove into Deban more and more, I
thought that my outrage was validated.

In the end, that, combined with my hatred of RPM, was the reason that
one of the companies that I support completely abandoned RH and moved
to Ubuntu server. Of course the other company is locked in by an
unsupportive vendor, so I always have to check myself whenever I log
in. So many times I have been scratching my head trying to figure out
why /etc/network/interfaces wasn't there.
Sometimes I think that RHEL/CentOS is the Newman to my Seinfeld ....
Then a windows server will crash.

On 11/10/09, Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 04:16:45PM -0500, Steven Black wrote:
>> To my knowledge there is only one way to update a Debian-based system,
>> and that is online. Booting from CD is fine if you need to repartition
>
> I meant to say "live" instead of "online".
>
>> and reinstall, but to my knowledge Debian has never explicitly supported
>> booting from a CD to perform an update. Sure, it might work, but you'd
>> be better off doing it live and using the CD as a package store.
>
> I used the correct word later, so hopefully it made sense.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven Black
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kirk Gleason
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: