Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Re: [BLUG] newbee

> That is odd. As I've mentioned, I've never seen that happen. Any
package in particular? (And was it the same package each time?)

No very specific but at least once I was adding lot of packages not
installed by default (including some Asian fonts and input methods.)

> Now, if you never got the network up it would make sense.
>
The network is definitely up and I always do the update right after
first boot up. I might have chosen some 'weird (albeit from Ubuntu)'
packages just like those I have installed on RH.

> I've heard that it was doable, though I did not know it was doable
> pre-Fedora. Still, I contrast "doable" with the fact that network-based
> live-upgrades have been the *recommended* upgrade procedure for
> DEB-based systems for the past 15+ years.
>
My got feeling is that it's always riskier to do a live-upgrade then a
standalone upgrade. Weird things can happen when you upgrade important
shared libraries such as glibc -- the old ones are still open by
utilities already running while the new ones might kick in by new
running programs -- e.g., there is a bug in, say, 'rm' that is not
triggered by the old glibc. Now the new glibc is in place and the new
runs of 'rm' will start using the new shared libraries and the bug got
triggered. When it comes to our important servers, we either do a fresh
install or, if upgrade route is necessary, a standalone upgrade.

Thanks,
Shing-Shong

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: