Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Re: [BLUG] newbee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:19:27AM GMT, Kirk Gleason [kgleason@gmail.com] said the following:
> I remember being appalled by RHEL 4 when I wanted to upgrade to RHEL5.
> Having come from Gentoo and BSD (Net and Open), I just couldn't fathom
> having to use CDs to upgrade. As I dove into Deban more and more, I
> thought that my outrage was validated.

I think you're a little spoiled. To be able to upgrade an OS to a new
"major version" without having to even take the machine down for hours
is an awesome feature. In fact its such an awesome feature that I made
the mistake of setting up a couple servers at Suso with Gentoo. What I
forgot to consider is that being servers, you need to make sure that you
can roll back changes to packages in case some upgrade doesn't work out.
It never really burned me but its made me get stuck in one place because
I'm afraid to upgrade and mess something up and not be able to roll
back. Gentoo makes this practically impossible and if you wait too long
to upgrade, you can find yourself with a machine that doesn't have the
current versions of its packages in the distribution directory. Gentoo
development simply moves too fast to use on a server. Plus, constantly
compiling stuff bogs the server down for other users who don't really
care about it being Gentoo or not.

So now I'm on CentOS mostly for its long term support and stability.
I've been dabling with Debian and Ubuntu a bit on virtual machines, but
nothing serious yet.

--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: