Monday, August 6, 2007

[BLUG] Looking for network support for small company

I work for a small local manufacturing company (40 employees, 15 seat
network) that is looking to upgrade its internal network.

Current setup is an antique NetWare4 file and application server. I'm
told the enterprise software provider does have a Linux version
available. That is the only networked application used -- no internal
mail or CRM or anything of that nature. Website and email are hosted
elsewhere. Current network support provider no longer supports Novell,
and is pushing us to go with Windows.

We have no IT department or formal IT guy -- I'm it by default. I
support and maintain all the desktops, but am ignorant about networking,
and have no desire to learn about an antiquated system. The server
itself is is outfitted with old, small SCSI drives, and my research
tells me that NetWare uses a proprietary file system that can't be read
by other OSs.

The powers-that-be are willing to consider a FOSS alternative (they've
been listening to me sing Linux' praises, and have been impressed by my
demos of desktop installs), but need to be assured that support can be
had. I'm envisioning a very basic Debian/Ubuntu setup with enough of a
GUI as to make it possible for me to perform routine maintenance, and
having a network support provider available if/when the need arises.

So, do any of you guys know where I should go next? Do any of you
provide this kind of service? With a track record and references?

I hope this isn't inappropriate for this list. Off-list responses to
mhwarner@insightbb.com will be appreciated.

--
Mark Warner
...goin' mobile with Portable Thunderbird
74.129.249.62
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: